Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tartan vs. argyle: a brief introduction

When I sat down to create this blog, I thought, "Well, the background should be something suitably Scottish. Maybe some sheep, some haggis, or a bit of tartan." Deciding that sheep would be a bit pastoral, and haggis would be a bit disgusting, I settled on tartan. But something seemed...off.

The background, as you can see, is actually argyle. Tartan looks more like this:


By now, you probably know how qualified I am to be writing a blog about Scotland.

I know, I know. "Then why read this?" you're probably wondering. "The writer is clearly incompetent. She's probably just some American tourist, stumbling around and getting lost and asking people to repeat themselves because their accents are too 'thick.'"

Well, fair enough.

I am incompetent. I am just some American tourist. I do get lost. I don't often ask people to repeat themselves, because I have a good ear, which is probably because I've been raised on a healthy diet of BBC period pieces since age five. And I've seen Trainspotting. That has to count for something.

Still, I'll admit I'm not quite qualified to write this blog. But that's just the fun of it. I'd like to think that I won't make any mistakes, that I'll always be witty and cultured, that I'll blend seamlessly into the background, that I shan't trip over some ancient cobblestone and plunge headfirst into the Water of Leith. But I will make mistakes. I will make a fool of myself. And at the end of it all, I hope I'll have discovered something, about myself, about life, about love, about the exact difference between tartan and argyle, or about how to fall into a freezing river and survive to blog about it.

So, my readers, do be patient. You might discover something, too.

Unless you don't.

But at least you'll have had a good laugh.

Until next time -
Emily O.

No comments:

Post a Comment